1/4 pound all-purpose flour
2 3/8 fluid ounces shortening, hydrogenated
1/8 cup ice water (1 to 1 1/4 cups)
1/8 ounce salt (1 1/2 tbsp)
1. Mix flour and shortening on low speed for 1 minute, using pastry knife or flat beater. Scrape sides of bowl and continue mixing until shortening is evenly distributed, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Dissolve salt in smaller amount of water (use reserved amount of water if needed). Add to flour mixture. Mix on low speed only until a dough is formed, about 40 seconds.
3. Portion into 9-oz balls for 9-inch pies.
TO MAKE A ONE-CRUST PIE:
1. Roll dough into a circle 2 inches larger than pie.
2. Fit pastry loosely into pan so that there are no air spaces between the crust and pan.
3. Trim, allowing 1/2 inch extra to build up edge.
4. For custard-type pie, crimp edge, add filling, and bake according to the recipe.
Sweet Potato Filling
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 cups) --Note, when using fresh sweet potatoes, pick the long skinny ones, not as stringy as the fatter ones.
2 tablespoons softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 ounces evaporated milk
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons allspice
1-9" pie crust
If using fresh potatoes, bake at 375F until tender. When cooled enough to pick up, peel skin off. Bake pie crust at 350 for 15-20 minutes or till set. Mash potates. Add all ingredients, mixed thoroughly. Pour into shell. Bake 45-60 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean at 350.