03 January 2008

Mashed Baked Sweet Potatoes

I do so love sweet potatoes. Luckily the rest of my family does to. I typically slather these puppies with butter, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Since I am on a quest to lose a bit of ass, I did away with the butter, cream, and brown sugar. That's right, all I added was fresh grated cinnamon and nutmeg. They are still just as yummy. I knew this, but I really didn't think the family would eat them. Surprise, surprise. They did. The funny thing, one member who claims to not like sweet potatoes, said these were pretty good and I should consider using this as my pie filling. All I could say was WTF?!?! Oh well, they liked them and all their beta-carotene goodness.

So, on with the recipe. It's easy peasy for sure.

Ingredients:

4 medium sweet potatoes, equals about 4 cups
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375F.

2. Take a fork and poke a few holes in the sweet potatoes.

3. Place on sheet tray or aluminum foil, something to catch the juice, and put in oven.



4. Bake until tender, about 1 hour.

5. Cut off the ends of the potatoes and then slice the skin on top. Remove the potatos to a bowl. Add seasonings and then mash with fork or potato masher.






(ok, so, the color in the one above is much better. don't know what happened, but you get the picture)



Nutritional Analysis:

Calories: 148 kcal
% Calories from Fat: 5
% Calories from Carbs: 89
% Calories from Protein: 6
Total Fat (g): 1
Saturated Fat (g): trace
Monounsaturated Fat (g): trace
Polyunsaturated Fat (g): trace
Cholesterol (mg): 0
Sodium (mg): 253
Potassium (mg): 280
Total Carbohydrates (g): 34
Dietary Fiber (g): 5
Protein (g): 2
Calcium (mg): 45
Iron (mg): 1
Zinc (mg): trace
Vitamin C (mg): 30
Vitamin A (IU): 26618
Vitamin B6 (mg): 0.3
Vitamin B12 (mcg): 0
Thiamin (mg): 0.1
Riboflavin (mg): 0.2
Folacin (mcg): 20
Niacin (mg): 1

Food Exchanges
Starch/Bread: 2
Lean Meat: 0
Vegetable: 0
Fruit: 0
Non-Fat Milk: 0
Fat: 0
Other Carbs: 0

No comments: